Unboxing of VanityTrove March 2013
This is the second box of VanityTrove I am reviewing. The first box didn’t wow me, and I was hoping this month will be better. There were a few items I could use from last month’s, and I was hoping for something better, since the theme is Temptress. You see a black and white photo, and a beautiful lady with red lips. You’d expect something like red lipsticks (duh!), or mascara, or something that invokes the sexiness in a Temptress… but I was wrong.
This month, you get 3 vouchers and 6 miniature samples. You DO KNOW where we’re going with this, don’t you? First up. Vouchers.
- Asian Potions 10% discount voucher on a full sized body lotion or designer aromatherapy candle, valid until 30 April 2013
- Kanebo 45-minute makeover / makeup lesson voucher, valid until 1 May 2013
- Timeless Truth Malaysia 20% discount voucher on the next online purchase, valid until 31 December 2013
For me, vouchers don’t do much. I don’t live in KL, so I won’t travel all the way to use the Asian Potions voucher. For the makeover voucher, it might be useful to some, but to me, it’s another piece of paper.
As for Timeless Truth, there isn’t even any sample provided in the box, just a discount voucher.(Oops! Timeless Truth mask is provided) Discount vouchers, to me, are a cop out. I have to buy something to be able to get a discount, but if I subscribed to a box that costs RM60 every month, I’d expect much better than just vouchers.
Samples this month are 6 miniatures, 1 full sized item, some of which, you can even get at the counter without any purchases.
- Lunasol Smoothing Makeup Base sample 1g (x2) – I have plenty of this and you can get this at the counters if you asked
- Lunasol Skin Fusing Powder Foundation 0.6g – you can also get this at the counters if you asked
- Asian Potions Hand & Body Lotion Potion (in a little sample tub which I estimate it to be less than 5g)
- Bio-Essence Bio-Energy Firm & Brighten Eye Cream SPF15 3ml
- Sensiplus Hydrasilk Day & Night Cream SPF10 5ml
- Sensiplus Hydrasilk Gel Tonic 2ml
- Timeless Truth Orchid Extract Replenishing Mask (the only full sized item in the box)
I have done my own calculations of the value of this box. I have excluded the vouchers and the 2 Lunasol items which can be obtained easily through the counter for free. I just can’t justify paying RM60 for this box. I estimated the value of the samples to be less than RM40. Unless of course I also take into consideration the tissue, paper, cardbox, printing, brochures and courier postage. Compared to last month’s debut box, this is a huge let down. Last month’s was already ‘meh’ but I could still see some value in it. I wish I could say the same for this month’s box.
I have read some reviews of Vanity Trove Singapore’s boxes and theirs look far more interesting. C’mon, VanityTrove. I’m sure you can do better. I should be getting another box next month (that is, if the company still wants to send it to me after reading this review!), and if I do, I’ll let you know if there’s any improvement. Let’s face it. People want value for money. I’m sure many want to see that they are getting more than what they’re paying for. March 2013 box did not meet the mark and proved to me that these subscription boxes are just not meant to be.
What do you think? How would you feel if you paid RM60 for this box?